Thursday, November 03, 2011

A Couple of Arresting Images . . .

I have a busy morning ahead of me even though I rose early -- 3:00 a.m. as usual -- so I thought that I'd just blog briefly by posting a couple of arresting images for readers to contemplate.

The first photo is borrowed from Google Images and shows the tombstone of the Reverend Billy Graham's deceased wife:


In case the wording engraved thereon is illegible, the Chinese character means "Righteousness" (or so I'm told), and as for the English -- which she borrowed from a road-construction sign that she'd once encountered after driving over miles of roadwork -- here's what that wording says:

Ruth Bell Graham
June 10, 1920 - June 14, 2007
"End of Construction --
Thank you for your patience"

I appreciate a good, morbid sense of humor, but I guess I'll have to come up with an epitaph of my own. I wonder if Derrida's reads something like this:

Jacques Derrida
July 15, 1930 - October 9, 2004
"End of Deconstruction --
Thank you for your extreme patience"

The other image is an arresting one for me, a photo by Tim Ernst of this autumn's colors in the Arkansas Ozarks:


I'm calling it "Fall in Love" -- though Mr. Ernst likely has some other title -- because I love looking at this image of fall, which reminds me of my boyhood home far away on the other side of the world. I may be a city boy now, living here in Seoul, but in my soul of souls -- something like a heart of hearts -- I'm still an Ozark lad.

I check Mr. Ernst's website every morning for an Ozark image . . . just to help keep myself sane.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Tom Ball said...

I was in a cemetery south of Waco, looking up the grave of a mutua acquaintance, L. Shoaf, and I saw a marker nearby that said "I Told You I Was Sick."

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

autumn's colors in the Arkansas Ozarks

oh... w-w-w-o-o-o-w-w-w-w-w...

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Tom, I still don't believe him -- he was just putting on and ended up convincing himself.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Wow is right, but I never knew till I moved away.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Fall colors have been better this year than I can remember for some time. Amazing considering the extreme heat and drought of the Summer. Maine in Fall may be better known, however; I would not trade the blaze of Ozark Fall colors for any other place!

Jay

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Me, neither, Jay . . . though I can do without the Arkansas summer's heat and humidity.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Scott A. said...

I would love to be back in the mountains of North Georgia (USA, of course) walking a creek much like that fishing and taking pictures...

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

"Satisfied with the fish on the line . . ."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home